Monday, November 20, 2006

11/20 Another good day, then a shock

I'm sitting in my little office niche in my bedroom. It is so cozy and comfortable. I borrowed Rob's portable laptop desk and it fits here perfectly. I have my speakers hooked up and I love it.

So I'm in my own little fantasy world, and Beata tells me that a friend of Rob's was killed in Afghanistan. What an awakening to reality. I'm living in the home of someone who works in Special Operations. Robbie just came home and said he loses friends several times a week, but that this one just shocked him. It was a guy he's known for 14 or 15 years and served on a team with. The memorial is Wednesday. If Beata and I can escape from cooking for a while that day we'll go to the service.

A sad reality.

I prefer my fantasy world.

7 comments:

Beata said...

It is very REAL to live here, so close to Fort Bragg. Almost all of our friends either have their family member or a spouse in Iraq or Afghanistan, or they lost some loved ones. It hurts.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Yes, I know it does.

We're so incredibly lucky. I count my blessings every day.

Anonymous said...

Please know I will include Rob's friend and his family in my prayers. It does hurt that we are losing our military people, but I can not even imagine what their families live with, and deal with every day. God Bless our soldiers and God Bless their families.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks, Cindy. I'll tell Rob.

Jeff said...

So sad :(

Anonymous said...

Thanks Aunt Cindy. And thanks Mom for mentioning my friend, Tung. It hurts, but I haven't lost one friend who would've wanted to be anywhere but in the fight. We choose this life every day. Our families don't. Love to all who support the troops.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

I love you, Robbie.