Saturday, February 17, 2007

2/17 Time goes by

Today we closed the service center in Lady Lake. I'm off tomorrow and Monday will work again at the temporary HQ in Daytona Beach. My hotel there is on the beach. It will be great to see the ocean--haven't seen it yet this trip. The Daytona 500 is going on tomorrow so Daytona Beach should be an absolute zoo.

Today, on the way back from work I stopped for lunch and as I finished a couple stopped me and said they just wanted to thank me for all the Red Cross has done down here. They were obviously fairly well off, but lost most of their house and furnishings. Yet they said they can't complain. They had insurance, but many of the people didn't. Plus there were 20 deaths, and they weren't even injured.

I walked away from the restaurant feeling really good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jer: yes, thank you for all the work you have done with the Red Cross. Congratulations on the job! I had a funny feeling from the time you mentioned the chance meeting with that gentleman in the airport...

Anonymous said...

oops, that was Gretchen. Sorry! -- Gretchen

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Gretchen, it was my pleasure. One line we use that I really love--when we give a debit card to people we say, "This is a gift to the American people from the American people."

And I thought about that guy last night. Forgot his name, but all I have to do is look through my blog.

Anonymous said...

can't I get one of those debit cards?...I'm an american, and I do LOVE my debit card!! Seriously, it is good work you are doing...everyone needs a smiling face when their world's be literally turned upside down. Good work Jer...it takes a special person to do what you are doing.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Ah, well, you won't think I'm sacrificing anything, Cindy, when I tell you where I'm staying now. Will blog asap.