Monday, May 28, 2007

5/28 Memorial Day

Most people are off today but not the Mississippi and Louisiana branches of my company. Why? Because the staff voted to have off on Fat Tuesday instead. Fat Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday and is of course Mardi Gras. They celebrate it all over the Mississippi Gulf Coast and is not just a Louisiana thing. I look forward to seeing the parades and such next year, and it will be nice to sleep in my own bed after the shenanigans, and not have to pay for a hotel.

Any relatives and/or friends are welcome to visit during Mardi Gras.

The reason I'm writing now during my work time is because of something that just happened. I was working on my computer and Quincy was eating. (She's with me today because the doggy day care is closed on Mondays, so I bring her to work with me.) All of a sudden she started choking, trying to cough but unable to do so. I said, "Sandra, come here please." Sandra is the deputy coordinator and is next door to me. She's also someone who Q loves passionately. Sandra said she heard urgency in my voice. I did remain calm, however.

I did one abdominal thrust on Q, and could hear the food being expelled into her mouth. She of course chewed it and swallowed it.

Guess how I knew what to do? It's amazing. Yesterday at Walmart I bought a little book about Labrador Retrievers. And it showed how to do abdominal thrusts on dogs. I don't even know if I did it right, and will check the book tonight. All I know is that it worked. And I'm so grateful. (Thank you, God.)

Q is my companion and family member. I do appreciate her, but it takes something like this to make me realize how much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes, that's scary, Jer. "Reading is fundamental" has never rung more true.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

You're right about that, DF.