Monday, May 07, 2007

5/7 Medical update

Short version: Quincy has a congenital defect affecting both bladder and kidney.

Long version: She has a pelvic bladder. Instead of her bladder being near her stomach, it's in her pelvis. This causes all kinds of problems, including incontinence and bladder infections. First course is to see if she'll "grow out of it." If not, then we go to medicine which has some rotten side effects. Then finally surgery. The professor at Mississippi State said something else about one of the kidneys, but my vet and I didn't quite get it, so she's going to wait for the written report and then will tell me about it. They advised that I have Quincy spayed because it wouldn't be good for her to get pregnant. Would be too hard on her kidneys and bladder. I'd already decided to have her fixed, so that wasn't a problem.

For right now, I know she "leaks" like some women after they've given birth. And they might have to do a bladder tuck to fix that. So if you come to my house and it smells like pee, remember that it's not this old lady who did it (yet), it's my beautiful, semi-incontinent, puppy.

She's so beautiful and sweet. I sure hope she gets better--for her sake.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Quincy...I am so sad for her. (not to mention the vet bills in your future...sorry)

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

She is such a sweetheart, Cindy, that it makes me sad to think she may end up suffering. But I'd gladly pay for the surgery (a payment plan of course), if it would fix the problem.

Well Met said...

When Skip came down with Parvo and spent 4 days and nights in doggy ICU, I wasn't sure if the bill would be hundreds or thousands. At that time we applied for Care Credit (www.carecredit.com). I call it our doggy credit card. It came in handy and they do offer no interest payment plans (depending on the bill balance). I keep the account open because you never know...

I pray Quincy will grow out of it. I can't imagine the waiting. I really enjoy when you bring her into the office.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks for the info, Desarae... I just called Pampered Pets and found out that Quincy has made lots of "new friends." She slept with two other dogs last night and they are having fun scampering about. I'm glad to hear that.