Friday, February 09, 2007

2/9 A good day

Today was my first day at the service center. Lots of nice people doing lots of good work. I know I'll enjoy my time there. The woman I'm replacing took me on a tour of the affected areas. It's funny how different it looks from the aftermath of a hurricane. But thousands of homes were destroyed---yet you can see where the tornado jumped or how it arbitrarily hit one million dollar home and left the neighbor untouched. This time we saw so many wealthy people displaced. The difference is that they have resources and insurance. The trauma remains, and money alone can't fix that.

I did an intervention with a dog today. A guy in a wheelchair was coming out of his house and his dog snuck around him and took off down the street. A big dog. I sweet talked him into coming my way (the dog, not the man). Then I "dog-whispered" him into going back into the house. Felt good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and the dog really connected! Living with the zoo has been good for you. What are the "labels" for at the bottom of every blog?

Anonymous said...

Be careful Jer, I think interventions with dogs are illegal in many states, including Florida!

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Andre, it's a new blogger thing. Basically if someone is searching for blogs about the Florida tornado (for example) they would be able to find my blog.

Cindy, you crack me up.

Anonymous said...

yeah?, well it's been hell not being able to make fun of you....with you out saving the world and all. I do think it is some unwritten rule that even Bozarth's can't make fun of those doing good deads....darn.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Okay. You cracked me up again.