Monday, August 13, 2007

8/13 Hot tomatoes, thunderstorms, and the best dog in the world

Jan gave me wonderful fresh tomatoes and they keep popping open in the heat (yes, I do take them into the hotel room with me). So I've been eating the ones that won't last the trip. Not a bad deal. They are delicious, Jan.

The trip TO St. Louis was easy, the hotel was beautiful, the kids had fun, Quincy was well-behaved, Jill and Todd got there on time, both of them loved Quincy. All was perfect---UNTIL, the perfect storm appeared at 2 AM. Cut out power to more than 50,000 customers, including our hotel. The lightning and thunder woke me up, and Q just raised her head and went back to sleep. But I knew that if the power didn't come back on it would get awful hot in there. Plus we were on the 4th floor.

I didn't go back to sleep and it got hotter and hotter. Took a bath by the light of the computer. Packed by the light of my phone. Woke up Todd to help me carry my stuff down. When I looked in their room everyone was covered up, and I was sweating. Those damn Californians.

Anyway, I made it out of there and am now in Jackson, MS. Q is in a kennel because I have to work, but I'll pick her up after the meeting tomorrow and we'll finally make it home and to our "normal" routine. Can't wait. More later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The older I get the more I am beginning to hate stepping out of my "normal routine"...I think I am turning into my mother!!!(I would have thought "yikes" at one time, but now it gives me comfort)
Anyway, it is good you like adventure so much, but I am sure you will enjoy your own 'normal' too for awhile.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Funny. Everyone has their own "normal." Mine just changes. :) Now my normal is to work all day and stay home at night. Not too different from yours, Cindy.

Kelly said...

Thank you so much for bringing the kiddos. Kayla and Hunter are absolute dolls and have such good manners! Jill and Todd should be proud. I wish we could have had more time with them. I think we need to convince them to come at xmas!!

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thank you, Kelly. The kids just loved your boys and had a great time getting to know their cousins who are about the same age.

It was such a joy for me to spend such a great time with the family.

Anonymous said...

Wish we could have seen them too. Hope your meeting goes well, mom. Have a good trip home and enjoy returning to the norm.

Love you,
Rob

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Not so normal. will post....