Friday, August 26, 2005

8/26 Catching up, but not on sleep

Oh my, I'm tired. Got to bed at 3:30 AM and up at 8 to swim. But let's go back to yesterday....

Up early and met a bunch of people at the pool around 9. It is absolutely decadent to be sitting there or swimming while other people work. I could get used to this.

After a few hours I went for lunch with Rachel, Steven, Ste (all Chorley UK), Evan and Jill (Dallas) to IHOP. Rachel wanted to try pancakes. I think she liked them.

Steven and I then waited for the shuttle to take us to our workshop. We waited in the wrong place. Luckily Kris (Philadelphia) gave us a ride. At CSz, Phil Ward (LA) taught Film Styles. Informative and fun. We got lots of stage time as we practiced the various styles. Got a very thorough handout too.

Then to the Stella Adler theatre for Casting for the Commercial. Michael Donovan, a casting director, taught it. I learned SO MUCH. If I'd have had a head shot with me, I would have turned it in, like others did.

Went back to the Thai Restaurant with tons of people. Enjoyed the meal and the company.

Finally we had some SHOWS to watch. Richmond vs Minneapolis, Buffalo vs Philadelphia,Dallas vs New York, and Chorley vs New Orleans. All the matches were hilarious. Celebrity judges were Julia Duffy from Newhart and Designing Women, Debra Wilson from MADtv, and Jamie Alcroft from TV's Comedy Break with Mack and Jamie.

Afterward the party moved to Big Wang's. Yep, that's the name of the bar. Of course I went. I'm not going to miss seeing what that's about.

It was a great bar. Big, dirty and open. A regular corner bar in the heart of Hollywood.

I got to bed at 3:30, as I said above. When I woke up at 8 I was still tired but knew that I wanted to swim. Heather (Chicago) got there about the same time. Kevin (Minneapolis) arrived shortly after, then later Betse (Portland) and Erika (Chicago) joined us.

Friends went to In and Out Burger for lunch. Steven, also known as Jools, from Chorley wanted to try it. So I walked to Hollywood and Highland Center and had a pretzel and water. Mmm-mmm good.

My first workshop was Auditioning for the Comedic Actor. Jason (forgot his last name, but I do have his card) taught it and it was EXCELLENT. We began by all of us getting a script and then going outside. He called us in one by one and we audtioned on tape. Afterward we went through some of the tapes, but time prevented us from looking at all of them. But we all got feedback, and we all got on stage and read aloud with others. Situation comedies require a lot more thought than I realized. I do know I sucked (my words, not Jason's). But got better as time went on.

Ended up having to skip Rick's Shakespeare class. My knee just isn't getting better and I needed to get off of it for a while. More later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Jer, Buffalo beat Philly....I cry on the inside because you made this mistake

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Sorry, Jeremy, blame it on sleep deprivation. I fixed it.