Sunday, April 24, 2005

4/24 Fun and games with grandkids

Saturday I got up at 3:30 AM for what I thought was a 6:50 flight. I'd gotten to bed after 11:30 PM. Four hours sleep doesn't cut it, but I was excited so the adrenaline helped. I left home at 4:45 and got to the airport at 5:15 and to the AA counter by 5:22. I know the exact time because they were waiting for me with my luggage tags printed out already.

My flight left at 5:50. I had to take my big bag to the gate because regular luggage check-in was closed for the flight. Taking a 50 pound bag through security is not my idea of fun. But it was cool to have the TSA guy compliment me on how strong I was.

The trip from Milwaukee to DFW was uneventful. At the gate for the flight to California I sat next to the Tennessee Titans. At least I think that's who they were. If so, they win the award for the best looking team in the NFL.

I called Jill and talked to everyone but Hunter, he was busy eating. Kayla was so excited--"You mean it's today, Grandma. Omigod!"

Got upgraded to first class using my free upgrades for being a Gold flyer. Sometimes flying into LA, there'll be some famous people in 1st Class. Not yesterday.

Got lots of work done, so that was good.

On Sunday I was up at 6:30 AM. By the time I'd showered, the kids were awake. We went off for the day.

Jill and Todd went to Silver Creek for a big Sunday brunch. It was $12 for little kids so they were happy to not take them.

So the kids and I started at CoCo's for breakfast--one of our little rituals. Then to Walmart to buy one of Kayla's birthday gifts.

Afterward we went to Starbuck's because they have a huge play area in the plaza. Then to the mall where we rode the Carosel (spelling problems because I'm so tired), after which we had a fun visit to the Disney Store where Kayla and I picked out her second present--a Cinderella Barbie. She was ecstatic.

For lunch we had giant pretzels, then stopped for ice cream on the way home. What are grandmas for? The kids couldn't wait to tell Jill and Todd about the adventures we had.

Then we played a while before their naps. I made up a game where we sat in a circle on the floor and rolled a ball. Whoever had the ball told part of a story, then rolled the ball to someone else who continued it. K, H, and Grandma were on top of a mountain and rocks were falling on them and monsters came and Hunter used his superpowers (omigod, to see him act out his superpoweres, which he does all the time, is priceless). Hunter saved us, and then crocodiles came and he scared them away with his superpowers. K had them too, and she was a special princess who helped chase away the crocoldiles and broke up the rocks and then she and Hunter got married and lived happily ever after.

Boy, oh boy, they entertained me.

While they were napping, I did some work on an article that's due before vacation is over.

Jill and Todd made salad and spaghetti for dinner. Delicious! Then the kids went to bed. I went upstairs and watched Contender before I went to bed--early. I have to be up at 3:45 AM because the airport shuttle will pick me up at 4:48 AM. Yikes.

No comments: