Thursday, April 26, 2007

4/26 Poor, poor Quincy

I took her in this morning to be checked because she had a low grade urinary tract infection last week. The vet called me and said that, although the blood in the urine is gone, her white count is through the roof. So high that she can't even count it.

She x-rayed Q and saw that both of Quincy's kidneys are malformed. She asked lots of questions about how often Q urinates, etc. I was able to say that she hasn't had an accident all week, except she's a poop machine and sometimes will do that in the house. The vet will do like an IVP, putting dye into her veins so she can see more about her kidneys, and they'll also do a blood test.

Well, after I hung up I started crying. My only family here in Mississippi is very ill. The blood count and malformed kidneys really frightened me.

Later the vet called back and said the good news is that the kidney function (from the blood test?) is really good. But she can't do the "dye test" because Q is full of poop from stem to stern. I laughed and said tell me something I don't know.

They're keeping her overnight so she will be fasting, and will do the test at 8 AM tomorrow. I'll hear from the vet right away. And will post when I can, or will get a family member to post a comment. I called a few people so I could cry to someone--my brother-in-law Pete, my colleague Henry, my son Rob, and daughter Jill. It's good to have people to talk to.

I've been so busy that I haven't even been able to blog, but this was so important I wanted to get it out there so people could pray, send positive vibes, or whatever.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking good, serene thoughts for sweet Quincy. Wishing you both the best. I bet your puppy is resourceful and resilient -- just like her "mom." / Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Quincy. I hope you get a good report in the morning. You're still in my prayers.

John & OkHee McRae

Unknown said...

Positive vibrations are being sent now. Poor Quincy!

Anonymous said...

I hope she is doing better. We are praying for her

Beata said...

Oh, Mom, I am so sorry that you have both have to through that. I know how you feel and I wish I could be there for you! Let's just hope for the best and be positive. Quincy is a little strong girl (kind of like you, considering hight, you are small... ) and she will fight through this. I know it all sounds so scary; I would be too. Please, call me if you want to talk, and post more info about Q, ok? Love you both!

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks so much, Gretchen, Dave, Jane, Pete, and Beata. I slept 8 hours last night but would have given anything to have that little pup licking my hand to wake me up to take her out in the middle of the night. Jill called me and emailed. She can't get on Blogger for some reason. But it's nice to have people you love be with you when you're sad.

And John and Okhee, I must say I was very surprised to see your comment. Have been thinking about you lately. Thanks so much for your kind words. Love to all, Jer (will post when I know something)

Anonymous said...

Aunt Jer--
I'm sorry to hear about Quincy! I know how awful it feels when one of your "kids" is sick. That's how it is though, those pets do become a part of your family. I hope she gets better soon & I'm thinking about you!
Love,
Jessi

Anonymous said...

Praying that everthing turns out fine for Quincy. Looking forward to seeing you both tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Hope you get good news about Quincy - keep us posted. She sounds like a tough little fighter!

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks, Jessi, Jan, and Paulette. Read the latest post and you'll know I'm smiling. Love you all.

Anonymous said...

Poor little Quincy