Sunday, July 02, 2006

7/2 More on last night

The wedding reception was cool. After the wedding I guess everyone went home and changed into comfortable clothes. The groom was in shorts and a T-shirt for the reception. Fun.

I was the first comedian up. I learned a lesson. Don't say yes to a gig that's going to happen a few hours in the future. I wasn't well prepared and stammered a bit. Aarrgggghh. That's the first time it happened. I hate it. It wasn't horrific, but it wasn't as good as usual. But I'm very grateful to Russ for asking me.

Tyler was up right after me. And I must say I laughed my ass off. He was hilarious. What a talented guy! He's only 28 and has a real future in the field.

Tom Clark was the headliner. He lives in LA, but is originally from Wisconsin. You can sure tell why he's been on national TV a lot. He's so funny and really puts his improv experience to good use. Makes an immediate connection with the audience.

I caught most of his act, but unfortunately had to leave before he was finished. My friend, Michele, turned 40 early in the week and her sisters threw a surprise party last night. I was really late and missed the comedy portion, but still was able to enjoy the band (and dancing) for about an hour before the music stopped.

First of all the location was about 45 minutes from my house, but it was worth the drive. Situated on a small lake, the home was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Absolutely gorgeious. As soon as I arrived I needed to use the restroom, and used the one off the master bedroom. The bathroom was bigger than my kitchen.

The party was in the backyard near the lake. They'd erected a big tent and had a band. Lots of folks were dancing. So I spent a lot of time with CSz friends dancing to tunes from the 80s. Such fun. Two other members of BroadMinded were there--Maria and Megan. So that made it even better. There were maybe 80 people there at one point, but the CSz folks were definitely the life of the party. I said to Beth that when you get a bunch of actors together you know they are going to be craving the spotlight at the same time. The same thing happens when we go to karaoke. And I must say--I love the experience of lots of folks performing at the same time.

Michele had been suitably surprised it appeared, which made everything even more fun. So many details were apparent. There was a big tub of flip flops so people could take off their "good shoes" for dancing in the grass. Lots of beer, wine, and soda. And tons of food--all stuff that Michele loves. Again, the beauty was in the details.

I could go on and on, but you get the drift. It was a busy, but fun night for me. And it was great to share the fun with friends.

Congratulations to the bride and groom--Joel and Cassie. And happy birthday to Michele! What a day!

Tonight BroadMinded has rehearsal at Anne's house. I'm going to bring my camera because we need some shots for MySpace.

No comments: