Sunday, December 03, 2006

12/3 In DC

Again, the flight was uneventful, my favorite kind.

The Quincy is a neat hotel in downtown DC. The desk agent told me that the manager said all the Red Cross people were to get the best rooms. We have newly redecorated ones. How thoughtful. Each room is a mini-suite, with a kitchenette. But the guy have me one with a full kitchen. It's a very nice, small suite, which is really nice since I'll be here for a week.

The location is good too. There are plenty of places to walk, but not much time to do so. I could have walked today but took a nap instead. Didn't get enough sleep before I left NC.

While waiting for my room to be ready I spoke to a few other Red Cross Mental Health folks who were also waiting. Jim and Judy live in different parts of the country but have worked togehter many times over the years. It looks like not everyone will be new like me. I guess all disaster reserve staff have to go through orientation together because new rules and guidelines have been implemented. I'm looking forward to it.

Only bad news is that I'm going to miss the South Landing Christmas party with Rob and Beata. I thought it was Saturday night, but it's on Friday night and I don't get home until Saturday. Ah, well...

When Beata called I told her we can play poker on Saturday night then. :)

5 comments:

Beata said...

Mom, I am so happy that you get to stay in the nicest room at the hotel. Just enjoy your time there! Isn't that exciting that you get to meet some new people?
We will miss you at the Christmas party... I can't believe that we messed up the dates. Jst remember on the way back to bring us some snow. :-)

Jill and Todd said...

Beata & Rob... are you getting mom addicted to poker? Seems like that is all she talks about on the weekend :-))).

Beata said...

Jill! Mom is the bad one here! She got US addicted!!! ha!ha!ha! This lady doesn't take a "no" for an answer. We MUST play when she wants to... (which is every night!) I even got perfect at shuffling! can you believe that?

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

I'm addicted, Jill. You're right. So I joined a twelve-step program here in DC--PAA--Poker Addicts Anonymous.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Actually, Rob and Beata often suggest playing poker--usually Rob. But it's me that says, "Let's invite people." That way I can make more money.