Sunday, July 22, 2007

7/22 Hairspray and Charlotte

Genia and I went to see Hairspray last night. Wow, it was so good. I'd loved the original John Waters' movie, but it's a cult favorite and not for the faint-hearted. The musical is sweeter, lighter, and altogether wonderful.

A few years back I bought the Broadway soundtrack and fell in love with the music. Unfortunately I didn't get to see it on stage (yet). That's okay, though, because I'm thoroughly besotted with the movie and will probably see it again.

And Quincy didn't do anything wrong while I was gone. She did chew up one of her own toys but that is easily cleaned up.

Also, I am going to work on the Charlotte, NC Avon Breast Cancer Walk. I'll be the Operations Division Leader. The walk is in October. I'll drive to Sanford and leave Quincy with Rob and Beata while I work on the weekend. Then they'll drive to Charlotte and drop off Q so that will save me about three hours in my long drive. Can't wait. The walks are always awesome.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We saw "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" this weekend. It was a riot. Joe would never take me to a show like Hairspray, but Kelly said it was really good too. I might invest in the soundtrack while I want for it on DVD.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

You could always go with your sisters-in-law to a movie. All of you would enjoy it. :)

Anonymous said...

I saw it and loved it too. I really connected with the storyline and found myself mentally checking off all the similar qualities I share with the main character. It's wonderful when hollywood really gets something right. Bravo, Tinseltown--another bullseye. I thank you for having the wisdom to finally tell a story whose time had long since come. Although it's presented with a light, effervescent flair, this gem offers serious lessons to be learned. This movie is a must-see for anyone who's ready to take their social awareness to the next level.




I might be thinking of Talladega Nights.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

You're a chip off the old block. Totally deranged. But I gotta love ya. Mom

Kelly said...

Hairspray WAS awesome and the preview for Enchanted looks awesome too. We will have to see that as a family.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

I just loved Queen Latifah in it. When she sang, "I know where I've been," it made me cry.

The rest of the show made me laugh. I loved loved loved John Travolta as the mom.

Anonymous said...

Rob...thanks for the laugh...Eric and I both got a chuckle out of your comment!