Wednesday, February 01, 2006

2/1 Where did January go?

They say after 40 it's all downhill. I'm here to say that's true, but not always in a bad way. As someone who is WAY past her 40s, I notice that everything just rushes by. If I'm in a bad mood, it's no big deal, it's going to pass quickly. My headache? Gone! That's true for all bad things. Unfortunately it's also true for good things.

Right now, I'm content. I'm happy about things I'm involved in. There's less homesickness now because my life is more full. But it'll pass.

There goes the bad and the good, rushing by in front of my eyes. I try to grab moments, items, memories, people. But whooooosh--they're gone.

I try to live in the present, but it's excruciatingly difficult. I'm always looking for the next bit of fun and excitement, the next hearing of I Love You, the next delicious meal, the next performance, reality show, card game, adventure, ad infinitum.

Now is so precious, and so fragile. Poof--it's disappeared.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

It seems the older we get the faster time goes. Not sure why that is.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Someone once explained to me this way, and it actually made sense to me:

When you are ten, it seems like your birthday will never come. Why? Because one year is 1/10 of your life. It's a huge chunk.

When you're 50, it's different. The birthday comes all too soon, because one year is 1/50 of your life. A very small chunk.

Beata said...

Wow! Mom, you couldn't put it more beautifully. I think I read it twice, that's how much I love what you wrote...

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thank you, sweetie.

Anonymous said...

I love you, mom.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thank you, sweetie.