Friday, August 25, 2006

8/25 Disaster Work

I knew when I signed up to be on call for the Red Cross that sometimes I'd have to give up fun. So instead of performing and attending picnics, I'm going to be volunteering in Kenosha this weekend. Last week an apartment fire displaced I don't know how many people, but the entire building was totaled. And yesterday morning lightning struck another apartment building and 160 new units are affected.

Definitely I'll be there at 9:30 tomorrow morning for the day. They said they'd call if they need me after work today as well. Part of me is thinking, "Oh crap, I'll have to miss performing with Open Improv tonight. And I'll have to miss Aaron's picnic."

Then I mentally slap myself. These people have lost absolutely everything, and I'm whining about a picnic?.

I feel privileged to be able to help.

2 comments:

Beata said...

Mom, we are so proud of you. World is much better with you in it. Love you!!!

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Oh, Beatka, you made me cry. I love you, sweetie!