Thursday, August 31, 2006

8/31 Hurricanes and children

For the first time, I have to be concerned on a personal level. Rob and Beata live in NC, but inland. Yet, the news says Hurricane Ernesto will most likely go inland. There's a hurricane watch for the Carolinas that just got announced.

Of course I shouldn't worry. They lived in Okinawa for many years and lived through level 5 typhoons. And they lived right on the beach. So I guess they know how to take care of themselves.

And I'll probably get a call or email from Red Cross wanting me to go help. I can't do it at the moment because there's so much going on in my life. I'll be able to do it in November, however, after Words weekend in NY.

My 22-year-old nephew Adam is moving to NYC any day now. I talked to his mom, Cindy, last night. It's hard when your kids not only move out, but move away. I actually loved it when Rob moved out, because it made my life a lot simpler. His high school years were torture for both of us. Thank God he grew out of it, and so did I. :)

Although I didn't let anyone know it, I was horribly sad when Jill moved out. She's my baby.

Both of my beloved kids moved a million miles away. At least it seems so. For a long time Jill was in LA and Rob in Okinawa. Now it's better. One kid on one coast, and the other kid on the other. At least I get a lot of frequent flyer miles.

I haven't visited Rob and Beata yet in NC, but will as soon as I can. I went to Okinawa twice though. And I go to LA at least four times a year. This is why I have no money. If my children lived closer, I'd be rich.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do NOT know how you do it Jer...My three had better NOT move so far apart, and so far away from me!!! Joe is just going to have to learn to LOVE to fly. I know Adam is going to be so darn successful and in very short order! HE is so talented and already has a NY attitude...he was born with it!! He will do fine, but if anyone out there in NY wants to give him a fabulous job or buy him dinner, let me know!!!

rob and beata...hold on tight..it won't be like a typhoon so far inland, but you are likely to 'feel the winds blow'....keep us posted, and see you soon at the wedding.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

And I'll be sure to introduce Adam to some of my friends when I take him to dinner in November.

Jeff said...

Ah, but spending the money to visit your children is money well spent, Jer. Pays great dividends. :)

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

You are so right, Jeff. I don't regret one penny that I spend in traveling. This morning the Today Show said that spending money on traveling will make you happier than buying things.

Beata said...

Thank you Mom for being so concern about our safety. We are fine! :-) The storm wasn't as bad here, as it was some other places. I guess we chose the perfect location for our home. I will describe more in my blog, but this was just a quick update that we are doing great!

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks, sweetie. I was going to call you tonight, but you saved me a phone call. :) Glad you guys are doing well. I'll look for more info on your blog. Love you.