Saturday, January 14, 2006

1/14 Update on my happiness

Moments of bliss and moments of omigod when will their parents get home! Hunter threw a gigantic fit last night. I called Nanny 911 but the line was busy. Sat him on the stairs for a timeout. He screamed the whole time. Then he puked. BIG TIME! All over the new carpet, and not one drop on him. Amazing aim.

Luckily Jill and Todd have a Dirt Devil Spot Cleaner, and I made good use of it. Hunter apologized to both his sister and me, so the evening ended well. When he was calm I told him I was going to put him on the stairs and that I wasn't going to argue with him. He said, "Okay, Grandma."

My new resolve was tested this morning. He screamed at me when I said it was time to get out of the bathtub. I told him he had one minute on the stairs. Surprise surprise surprise. H said, "Okay, Grandma," and sat on the stairs with no complaints. This reminded me that neither of my kids had the "terrible twos." They both had the terrible threes. H is following their footsteps.

But most of the time he is such a sweet little boy. And funny.

Last night when I climbed into bed, Kayla said, "Grandma, how do your pajamas get so cuddly?" I replied that it probably wasn't my pajamas, it was just that I was a grandma. And if I stay here much longer I'm going to think I'm beautiful. Kayla tells me that a few times a day. "Grandma, you are beautiful." "Grandma, you look beautiful."

Both kids are already telling me not to leave. (I have to wake up at 2 AM and leave here by 3 AM to drive to LAX. That's why I rented a car this time instead of Jill picking me up at the airport.)

It's always hard to leave here.

In a little while we're going to Walmart with the kids to exchange a skirt I bought Kayla. Both kids need slims. Kayla will be six in May and still wears a 4. Hunter will be 4 in June and wears a 2.

Then this afternoon Jill and I are going shopping for clothes for her. Todd likes me to go with her because alone she'll only buy black, white, olive green, khaki. She loves her neutrals. When I'm here she buys purples and teals and other deep rich colors that look great with her skin color and black hair and eyes.

Tonight Kayla and I are going to a birthday party (Jill might go too). It's at Olivia's Doll House and I think the girls get to dress up in formals and tiaras and such and be little princesses. It will be a lot of fun and Kayla is so excited that I get to go with her. (I can definitely put up with princess stuff for two hours, especially with my own little princess in tow.)

4 comments:

Beata said...

Mom, it sounds like you are living in grandma's paradise. :-) That is so wonderful! I am so happy for you and the kids, that you guys have such a great time together! Enjoy it fully! Love you! Bea.

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Hi, sweetie. Had a wonderful day. And shopping with Jill was so much fun. I'll tell you what she still needs, and you can take over when you get here. We got some great outfits. She looks like a beautiful young woman instead of a pre-teen boy. :)

Bron said...

argh....... kids

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Funny, Bron, kids say the same thing about you. :)