Monday, January 30, 2006

1/30 Brainstorm and BroadMinded

I sure laughed a lot yesterday. The Rec League is so much fun. Lots of talented and silly folks. Brainstorm lost our match, but it was a close game. We played the winners from last season, so I felt pretty good about that. Next week our match is at 3 because of the Super Bowl. CSz is making a huge brunch menu beginning at 11:30 and then the first match is at 12. I'll be there...

And I'm happy to announce the birth of BroadMinded. BroadMinded consists of nine funny women, who do improv, sketch comedy, and stand-up. We'd been talking about it for a few weeks, and met last night for the first time. Yes, it will take up quite a bit of time. But for me, it's so much fun that it doesn't seem like work.

I'm going to get busy drafting some sketch ideas. We're getting together next Monday for dinner to go over some of our ideas. I'm very psyched about this!

Also, Wednesday we're having a rehearsal for our stand-up show on the 7th. That's another grup of comedians. (One other member from BroadMinded is in that group too.)

Sure am keeping busy--it cuts down on my reality show addiction. That's the only downside.

Okay, that's a good thing. I know.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of Broad Minded- I think you should francise it. We can use the laughs on the wild wet west coast

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Depending on where you are, Eileen, I can recommend ComedySportz without reservation. On the west coast you'll find CSz in Los Angeles, Portland, Spokane, Eugene, and San Jose. And most of them have sketch groups attached. I've met the folks and they are hilarious.

By the way, I saw your site. Love it. I've got you on my list to visit frequently. Jer

Beata said...

Mom, I have the feel that the BroadMinded are going to be famous! Just remember my words! :-)

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

I know my d-i-l is going to be famous too. So we're even. :)

Anonymous said...

Have fun with BroadMinded; it sounds like it's going to be GALlons of fun. I'll bet it was a tight vote between what you named it and "Femi-Nine."

Some of my Special Forces buddies and I are going to start a dessert chef group called the Green Brulees.

Seriously, I know you're going to have a great time and I agree with Beata. Go get 'em!

Love Rob

Jeff said...

Sounds like a lot of laughs and a lot of fun. Good luck, jer. :)

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Rob, you are so funny. But you come by it honestly. You have my genes.

What? You're adopted?

Well, maybe I was your biological mother too, and didn't want my husband to know I'd been to Samoa. And then I adopted you and no one was the wiser.

Until now...

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Thanks, Jeff. You're pretty funny yourself. I always laugh when I read your blog. Except of course when you're trying to be serious. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Rob, That was pretty good...Aunt Karen

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Aunt Karen! Thank you too, mom. I'm adopted?!

I was chuckling to myself when I wrote it. Man am I funny to me.
Love you!

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Yeah, I know. I laughed to myself when I wrote a response to your comment under today's note. Ha!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jer,
Love the idea of BroadMinded! I know so many of your lovely ladies, but you are missing one of the best female sketch writers Milwaukee CSz has to offer. She's taken two Second City Sketch classes, does improv AND stand-up. But the rumor is you "can't stand her". But best of luck to you and the ladies. It'll be grrrrrrrrreat!
-Mel

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

Don't know who you are, Mel. (Not the Mel from our group, because she would have spoken to me about it.)

There's no one I "can't stand." There's only one person I dislike, and that's because she said some mean things to me, and has never apologized, so I don't like her. But I'm sure you aren't speaking of her. So if you'd like to email me and tell me who you mean, that would be cool. After we do our first few performances we're going to re-evaluate our number, and membership. We love funny women. Jer

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

I now realize my first line sounds curt. Didn't mean it to. Thanks for the compliment about our group. We're psyched about it, and are certainly having fun writing and rehearsing. Jer