Friday, January 06, 2006

1/6 Pondering

I'm in a writing slump. Not at work--here, articles have deadlines and I meet them.

I'm talking about writing in my "spare" time. I've gotten some excellent, excellent advice from members of my online writers' group. And I'm feeling inspired.

Tomorrow (Saturday) I have plans. First, I'm going to the gym. (Yes, this is really me writing this.) Then I'm coming into this office and clean--and put away four years of "stuff." (I would say four years of shit but I don't want to offend anyone.)

My desk is just piled with paper. I need to file, pitch, laugh, cry, think about, whatever...

When I'm finished with that, and if it's still Saturday, I'm going to Starbuck's to write. Why there? If I'm at home I'll be distracted by work that needs to be done, Stargate that needs to be watched, people who need to be written (online), and other everyday things that attack us in our own abodes.

But at Starbuck's, all that I'll do is drink a Decaf Tall Americano, look at people, and write.

That's my plan. Here's hoping I stick to it. I'll feel really good about myself if I do.

4 comments:

anne frasier said...

sounds like a good plan, jer!

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

I'll report tomorrow. :)

Jeff said...

By the time you read this you'll probably already be back from Starbucks with several pages of well turned prose in hand. :)

Jerilyn Dufresne, author said...

I wish, Jeff. That would mean I'm done with my office. I went to the gym, and am now in my office. I made the fatal choice of turning on my computer, when I should just be filing, pitching and stacking. I'll force myself to turn this puppy off shortly. Promised myself.