Tuesday, July 26, 2005

7/26 Writing continuum

I'm fortunate that I get paid to write and edit (among other things). There are so many types of writing though.

There's the fiction I write (mysteries), emails to family and friends (chatty and unedited), business emails (less formal than letters, but still more formal than ones to family), my blog (informal ramblings), articles for publications (informal to formal/scholarly, depending on which magazine/journal I'm writing for), legislative letters (formal), sales letters (formal but chatty), testimony for legislative/regulatory hearings (don't write this often, but it's very formal), and there's more--but you get the drift.

A lot of the above pays the bills, so I have time to write the fiction I love.

I've come to the conclusion that I may never get my manuscripts published, and that's okay. I can be happy that I'm fairly well-published in my field. That's something unexpected. And cool.

But those articles just aren't the same as getting a mystery published. Nose to the grindstone time.

No comments: