Friday, November 11, 2005

11/11 Whew, I'm tired already!

And I haven't even left yet. Guess I should have prepared ahead--just in case I'd be deployed. The organization of the Red Cross DSHR (gosh I can't even remember if those are the right initials). :) What a goon!...Anyway, they are so organized. I got the call and a few hours later everything is arranged, including a debit card and an ID. They no longer give cash, but everyone gets a debit card. How cool is that! It will be so much easier to deal with.

Even though I'm a bit antsy about the work I'm leaving behind, I know this is the right thing to do. My boss, Diana, is a real jewel and is so kind about taking over some of my responsibilities. I've gotten most of my writing and editing done, so she'll need to take media calls and also follow up with a reporter at a daily paper about an interview. She hasn't complained at all about me going. Like I said, she's a jewel. (And I don't think she ever reads this, so I'm not trying to butter her up.) :)

My daughter Jill and her family are in Lake Tahoe but I was able to reach her by phone to let her know I'm going. Haven't heard from Rob and Beata, but I assume they got my email. I'll try to reach them via Skype tonight. Internet phones can't be beat when you're calling Japan.

Because everyone is telling me there's a lot of "hurry up and wait," I think I'll take the new Scrabble book with me. It's got lots of exercises in it and should be a great way to pass the time while I'm waiting. It's signed by John, the author, though, and I don't want to get it all gross. But if I do, I'll just have him sign another (or maybe I'll just ask his wife, Jane, to sign instead). That would be funny.

I'm still working on the manuscript for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). I'm way behind, but perhaps can do some writing freehand. (What in the world will I do without my laptop? I'm jonesing for it.)

Gotta run and get some work done. More later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Hurry Up and Wait" is the mode that ARC deployments start and end with. Everything in between is just a blurr.

In processing can be the most frustrating part. You just want to get started helping, but there are endless lines (anytime there are two or more volunteers standing somewhere, it is considered a line and you shoule be in it!), forms and procedures. It starts with "Staffing." That's where you get assigned to something that you did not think you were being sent to do.

Flexibility and patience are valuable resources.