Wednesday, November 23, 2005

11/17 Ah, a shower!

After a short but wonderful night's sleep, I experienced the wonders of having a shower a few steps away frommy bed. We left the hotel at 6:30 and made good time. So much so that we were able to eat breakfast before reporting in.

The workday started weirdly. As usual, I signed up for Team 6. The first thing the team leader, Carrie, said was that 20 of us were being dispatched to Team 1 to help with a serious situation that required a lot of extra people. My roommate Marcia was the other MH person who went. As we were being briefed, the MH manager came up to me and said that there was an urgent request for a MH person, then it seemed like she said I was requested. I told her that I had just been pulled to Team 1. She replied that it was urgent and that I should go to Team 7.

Somewhere there was a miscommunication and the request wasn't urgent, but I do what I'm told.

Turned out it was a GREAT day. Met some super people. Tom, a farmer from Fresno, and his wife Cindy; Dorta from Denmark; Marian and Bill from Boston, and Bob--the team leader. (Also Wendy and Reg from London and Bill M. from Minnesota and Sean from I don't remember where.) Marian and Bill have turned out to be dear friends--what a treat that is!

Then HHS (the feds) called to see if I was okay. I told them I was happy with the Red Cross but for them to keep me on their list.

Overall it was a really good day working with a new team. Nice people.

Had a beer after work with Marian and Bill--we have a beautiful pool and a bar near it.

Then I went to my room and watched Survivor and Apprentice. Then to sleep at 10.

No comments: